top of page

Graduate Student Assistantships

University of Florida Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department - Urban Water Resources Engineering Lab

University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, USA

Date added to AEES Website:

April 15, 2024

Date to remove from AEES Website:

December 31, 2024

About the Role

Applications are solicited for multiple Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) positions (Ph.D. or M.S. Level) in the Agricultural and Biological Engineering Department at the University of Florida under the supervision of Eban Z. Bean, PhD, PE. We are seeking highly motivated and creative students to join the Urban Water Resources Engineering Lab who are interested in researching the ecohydrology impacts of urban stormwater management. Research focus areas include but are not limited to a) developing adaptive stormwater monitoring strategies, b) modeling interactions between stormwater control measures and aquatic habitat, and c) evaluation of green stormwater infrastructure retrofits.

The Urban Water Research Engineering Lab conducts a range of applied research focused on engineered solutions for managing urbanization impacts on water resources and ecological systems.

Minimum Qualifications:

For M.S. applicants: B.S. or B.E. in the following disciplines. For Ph.D. Applicants, B.S. or B.E. and M.S. or M.E. in any of the following or similar disciplines:

• Biological Engineering 

• Ecological Engineering

• Environmental Engineering 

• Chemical Engineering

• Civil Engineering 

• Environmental Sciences

Applicants whose native or first language is other than English must obtain a TOEFL score of 80 iBT or IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.

Preferred Qualifications:

These positions are highly interdisciplinary and require carrying out field and laboratory research at the intersection of stormwater management, urban ecology, and hydrology. Prior laboratory experience in any of these areas is a plus.

The ABE Department is ranked among the top 5 programs in the nation and provides unique opportunities for in-depth research and field experience with award-winning department faculty and access to HiPerGator one of the most powerful supercomputers available on a university campus. Students may complete their degree through the Howard Wertheim College of Engineering or the Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences.

How to Apply:

Interested applicants are encouraged to contact Dr. Eban Z. Bean ( directly with a copy of your CV and research statement. Qualified candidates will be contacted separately for additional details (such as references). More information about applying for a graduate degree in Agricultural and Biological Engineering can be found at Please do not apply formally or pay any fees without making the inquiry first.

bottom of page